How to Obliterate Unhelpful Patterns Through Learning and Self-discovery
There was a time in my life when I thought
learning only happened in school, through books, or by taking courses. As I’ve
grown older, healed myself, built businesses, and connected with incredible people,
I’ve come to realize that some of life's greatest lessons happen outside of a
classroom.
While higher learning is always valuable, lifelong
learning is not about collecting certificates or earning degrees.
Being a perpetual student of life is about
being open to growth, embracing change, and learning from every experience life
takes you on.
Some lessons come easily, while others arrive
with a new set of challenges to overcome, heartbreak, setbacks, and moments –
ones that test our mettle and have us build our resilience muscles.
Looking back on my journey, I can honestly say
that every lesson has helped shape the woman I am today and one of the greatest
gifts I’ve given myself is the willingness to keep learning, even when the
lessons were difficult.
Learning to
Take Care of Myself
One of the first lessons I had to learn was
the importance of self-care.
What I eventually discovered was that
constantly giving without refilling my own cup left me physically, mentally,
and emotionally drained.
Self-care isn't about luxury.
Self-care doesn’t mean a trip to the spa days once
a year or an expensive vacations.
Having a daily self-care routine means
recognizing your own value and understanding that you deserve the same kindness
and compassion you so freely give to others – and putting yourself on your own
priority list.
Because you are worth every second of that
time and effort.
Every. Single. Day.
Today, self-care looks different for me.
Sometimes it means taking a walk in nature.
Sometimes it means stepping away from work and allowing myself to rest. Other
times it means reading a personal development book, listening to an informative
podcast, or spending quiet time reflecting on my goals and dreams.
I’ve learned that when I care for myself, I
have more energy, more patience, and more capacity to help others.
Today, self-care for me means honouring my
body’s needs, expanding my knowledge and engaging my mind, and nourishing my
soul. This is something I practice daily
and I recommend it for you too.
The healthier we become, the more effective we
will be in every area of our lives.
Changing My
Mindset Changed My Life
If there is one lesson that has had the
greatest impact on my personal growth, it has been learning the power of a
healthy, positive mindset.
There was a period in my life when I focused
heavily on my circumstances and the things that had happened to me. I allowed
past experiences to influence how I saw myself and what I believed was possible
for my future.
Through coaching, mentorship, personal
development, and healing work, I began to understand that my mindset was
shaping my reality.
I learned that I could not always control what
happened to me, but I could control how I responded.
·
Instead of focusing on obstacles, I started
looking for opportunities.
·
Instead of dwelling on what went wrong, I
began asking myself what I could learn from the experience.
·
Instead of seeing failure as proof that I
couldn't succeed, I started seeing it as feedback and an opportunity to
improve.
Those shifts changed everything.
A healthy mindset doesn't mean pretending life
is perfect. It means choosing hope over
hopelessness. It means believing that growth
is possible even when circumstances are difficult.
Today, when challenges arise, I remind myself
that every challenge carries a lesson. Every
setback can become a setup for something greater if we are willing to learn
from it.
Forgiving
Others and Forgiving Myself
One of the hardest lessons on my journey has
been forgiveness.
Many people talk about forgiveness as if it is
simple, but those who have experienced deep hurt know that forgiveness can take
time, and take some focused efforts too.
There were people in my life who’ve caused me
significant pain and done some serious damage to my heart and to my soul.
There were situations that left emotional
scars.
For a long time, I carried that hurt with me
because I believed that holding onto it somehow protected me. What I eventually realized was that the
person suffering the most was me. That
desire to hold onto the hurt kept me firmly planted it a big puddle of
quicksand – and that weight was pushing me further and further down into it.
The burden of anger, resentment,
disappointment, and pain was preventing me from moving forward and experiencing
joy in my life. And we only get this one
life. Every single day of it is a gift
and a precious one.
Forgiving those who’d wronged me previously
was a necessary step for me to learn how to do effectively – so I could move
forward in my life, free, unburdened and ready for all the wonderful things
ahead: time with my family, efforts
spent building relationships and cultivating my businesses and communities, the
feelings I enjoy when I’m making a significant difference for others.
Learning to forgive didn't happen overnight.
It was a process.
Forgiveness didn't mean forgetting what
happened.
It didn't mean excusing harmful behavior.
Learning to forgive simply meant releasing the
emotional burden I was carrying so I could find peace and move forward
confidently and freely.
Perhaps even more difficult was learning to
forgive myself. I had to forgive myself
for mistakes I’d made when I didn't know any better. I had to forgive myself for trusting the
wrong people. I had to forgive myself
for opportunities I didn't take and decisions I wished I could change.
As Maya Angelou wisely said;
"Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know
better, do better."
That quote became a powerful reminder for me.
I cannot change the past, but I can learn from
it.
Today, forgiveness has given me freedom. It
has allowed me to focus less on what happened yesterday and more on creating a
meaningful tomorrow.
The
Importance of Goal Setting
Another life-changing lesson has been learning
how to set goals and take consistent action toward achieving them.
For many years, I had dreams and ideas, but I
didn't always have a plan. I learned
that goals give direction. They help turn dreams into reality. One thing I have become intentional about is
writing down my goals and creating action steps to reach them.
Some of my recent goals have included:
- Becoming more confident on live videos.
- Stepping outside of my comfort zone.
- Growing my businesses.
- Launching and consistently showing up for Talk Tuesday.
- Connecting with more women in my community.
- Building meaningful relationships.
- Continuing to support women on their healing journeys.
- Expanding my reach so I can help even more people.
I remember the terror I felt about doing live videos.
Like many people, I worried about saying the
wrong thing or making mistakes. But
growth rarely happens inside our comfort zone.
Each time I showed up live, I gained confidence. Each time I pushed through fear, I became
stronger. Each time I checked off a
goal, I gained proof that I was capable of more than I realized.
Today, I celebrate every accomplishment, no
matter how small. Those checkmarks represent courage, growth, persistence, and
commitment. And every time I accomplish
one goal, I create another because growth is an ongoing journey.
Building
Meaningful Connections
One of the unexpected blessings of my journey
has been the relationships I’ve built along the way.
Through coaching, networking, mentoring,
business development efforts, and community involvement, I’ve had the
opportunity to connect with incredible women from different walks of life. These connections have taught me that we’re
not meant to do life alone.
There is tremendous power in community.
When women support women, amazing things
happen.
·
We encourage each other.
·
We celebrate each other's victories.
·
We learn from each other's experiences.
·
We remind each other that healing, growth, and
success are possible.
Some of the most valuable lessons I have
learned have come from conversations with other women who were willing to share
their stories, wisdom, and experiences. These
connections continue to inspire me every day.
Learning
the Value of Healthy Boundaries
For many years, boundaries felt uncomfortable. I worried about disappointing people. I worried about being misunderstood. I often put the needs of others ahead of my
own.
What I have learned is that healthy boundaries are not selfish—they’re necessary. Boundaries protect our peace. They protect our energy. They help us prioritize what truly matters.
Setting boundaries has allowed me to become
more intentional with my time and more focused on my goals. Learning how to stay true to my boundaries
has taught me that saying "no" to one thing often means saying
"yes" to something more important.
Today, I no longer see boundaries as walls. I
see them as acts of self-respect. They
allow me to show up as the healthiest version of myself while still caring
deeply for others.
The Gift of
Lifelong Learning
As I reflect on my journey, I realize that
being a ‘perpetual student of life’ has been at the heart of every
transformation I’ve experienced.
·
Learning taught me how to care for
myself.
·
Learning helped me develop a healthier
mindset.
·
Learning showed me the power of
forgiveness.
·
Learning encouraged me to set goals and pursue
them with confidence.
·
Learning helped me establish healthy
boundaries.
·
Learning introduced me to incredible mentors,
friends, and opportunities that have enriched my life beyond measure.
No matter our age, our past experiences, or
even the negative circumstances we endure and surmount, we can continue to
evolve. We can continue to heal. We can continue to dream. We can continue to learn.
I am grateful for every lesson, every
challenge, every mentor, every success, and even every setback because each one
has contributed to the person I am today.
I’m certainly not a graduate of life yet, but you can bet that I’m
learning as I go and I wish that for you too on your healing journey.
My own healing and growth journey is far from
over. There are still goals to
accomplish, lives to impact, lessons to learn, and dreams to pursue. And that is what excites me most. Because lifelong learning isn't a
destination—it is a way of living. Every
day offers an opportunity to grow, improve, and become a little better than we
were yesterday. For me, that is a
journey worth embracing.
My Gift For You
If you’d like some personalized
guidance along Your Healing Journey, I’d love to chat.
Please reach out to me privately
at yourhealingjourney58@gmail.com OR find me on FB https://www.facebook.com/yourhealingjourneytrishosborne to schedule a complimentary
‘Your Healing Journey’ Breakthrough
Call.
This is a free offer to
connect. There’s no obligation for us to work together. We’ll
discuss your unique circumstances, what you’d like to overcome and achieve and
by the end of our time together you’ll have:
1. Crystal Clarity with simple steps and solutions to
make a difference in your life
2. Tools and resources to help you move forward
confidently
3. A customized Action Plan designed just for you –
what to do next on Your Healing Journey to wellness and happiness.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Trish
Osborne is a Certified Integrative Life Coach, Founder of Your Healing Journey,
and the Host of a forever-free Facebook Community of the same name.
It’s her mission to help women leave past hurts
and traumas in the dust (where they belong), recover from their
pain, boldly embrace their unique talents and gifts, and design the life they
truly desire - one full of passion and purpose, confidence and freedom.
With a
proven, step-by-step process to recovery and life success, Trish offers a
customized coaching experience designed with each individual client
collaboratively and with a holistic approach to healing the mind, the body and
the soul too.
Trish would
be delighted if you’d join her free ‘Your Healing Journey’ Facebook
Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/yourhealingjourneywithtrish where she shares her best
solutions and strategies for living a life full of confidence and
joy.





Comments
Post a Comment